Particle of conjunction are used to connect the sentences or statements, words etc. In the Arabic language particle of conjunction is termed as حَرْفُ عَطْفٍ. Below is a table describing few of them with meanings. Other حَرْفُ عَطْفٍ will be discussed in upcoming topics later on.
|thus or then||فَ|
Effect of conjunction وَ on subsequent words (nouns) (Seq # 33)
Let us see the below construction.
Its meaning is “In the sky”. Now let us write “In the sky and earth”. In this case we have to use حَرْفُ عَطْفٍ which is وَ. The below is the construction looks like.
فِي السَّماءِ وَ الْأَرْضِ
Upon observing the above it is clear that “the earth” is following the same case “Majroor” as that of “the sky”. Thus particle of conjunction changes the subsequent nouns to the same master noun case. In Arabic it is described as مَعْطُوفٌ عَلىَ which means “connected to”. So in the above statement “The earth” is connected to “The sky”. It is said in the Arabic as
الْأَرْضِ مَعْطُوفٌ عَلىَ السَّماءِ
- State TRUE or FALSE: Read the verse Quran (15:18:26). The word الْأَرْضِ is مَجْرُور because it is connected to السَّموَاتِ (the skies).
- State TRUE or FALSE: Read the verse Quran (16:18:94). The word مَأجُوجَ is connected to يَأجُوجَ.
- State TRUE or FALSE: Read the verse Quran (15:18:14). The word الْأَرْضِ is not connected to السَّموَاتِ .
- State TRUE or FALSE: Read the verse Quran (15:18:9). The حَرُفُ عَطْفٍ is present in this verse.
- State TRUE or FALSE: Read the verse Quran (15:18:17). This verse starts with حَرُفُ عَطْفٍ.
Answers to Exercises
|Effect of conjunction وَ on subsequent words (nouns) (Seq # 33)||
T, T, F, T, T